We are pleased to announce that Deris is now certified with the international ISO 17100:2015 standard for Translation Services.
The audit which was performed by Bureau Veritas in August 2020 approves that Deris meets all requirements of the standard by 100%.
What is ISO 17100:2015?
ISO 17100 Quality Certificate is the only certificate in the field of translation and translation management accepted worldwide.
ISO 17100:2015 is the internationally recognized standard for translation services from the International Organization for Standardization. It was created in 2015 and sets minimum standards and qualifications for translation professionals, thereby defines specific translation steps to be followed to achieve quality.
The requirements for ISO 17100:2015 include:
- Qualifications and Experience of Human Resources:
The Translation Service Provider needs to acquire qualified and competent human resources. There must be a documented HR process in place, where records are kept and updated regularly. The standard sets out specific qualifications and competences for the various people involved in a translation project such as translators, revisers, reviewers, and project managers.
Translators must have:
- “a recognized graduate qualification in translation or language from an institution of higher learning“
- OR a graduate degree in another field plus the equivalent of 2 years full-time professional translation experience
- OR five years of full-time professional experience in translating.
- Translation procedures and processes:
The Translation Service Provider needs to acquire proper technical resources, and design process workflows which meet the requirements of the standard. The service provider is fully responsible for the entire translation project.
The workflow for an ISO 17100 translation project shall involve translation as well as full revision of the target text. Both the translator and the reviser shall have the same high qualifications and competences. This ensures the principle of two pair of eyes is applied in the translation process ensuring quality. The project must be managed by competent project manager..
Each translation project shall be checked at least in following phases:
- Translation and checking by the translator
- Revision by a reviser, who is a second linguist (bilingual editing)
- Review by the reviewer, expert in the field who assesses the suitability of the translation according to content, (optional)
- Proofreading by the proofreader, final check before submission of the translation. (optional)
- Communication and Feedback:
Communication is essential to this standard. ISO 17100 states that queries in both directions must be dealt with effectively and the same applies to feedback which has to be relayed to all the individual involved in the project. It also specifies that there must be a process for communicating any feedback of the client to all responsible persons of the project.
What ISO 17100:2015 Qualified Mean ?
First of all, it is proof of quality. You can be confident that the translation service provider is working in accordance with the recognized international standard to ensure providing best quality translation. You will know that at least two qualified professionals worked on the translation, thus increasing its quality. It also makes it easier to trust the translation work. The standard also ensures that the client is reasonably confident that they are working with a professional who is expert in the field and is using industry best practices and technical resources to provide high quality translation service.